The Voigt R. Hodgson Scholarship Fund
The Voigt R. Hodgson Scholarship Fund has been established by the National Athletic Equipment Reconditioners Association (NAERA) to promote the education of deserving full-time students at an accredited college or university in the United States of America.
1. The initial gift of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) and all future contributions to this fund shall be an annual investment used to award scholarship(s) to deserving students(s) enrolled on a full-time basis at an accredited college or university pursuing a degree in a field of their choice.
2. Payment to the recipient shall be made in two increments equaling one-half of annual award at the beginning of the fall and spring semester respectively. To qualify for future scholarship money the award recipient must send a letter/fax/email to the Executive Director documenting passing grades each semester or quarter.
3. No student should be denied the scholarship on the basis of race, creed, sex, religion, or national origin.
4. The scholarship may be renewable for subsequent years of the recipient’s undergraduate and/or Graduate education provided the scholarship committee deems the recipient’s performance and academic progress to merit retention.
5. Priority of consideration shall be given to a student graduating from an accredited high school in the United States with the following qualifications:
a. Maintain an overall 3.0 GPA
b. Submit an essay on a subject chosen annually by NAERA found on the application form.
c. Three letters of recommendation from either: teachers, counselors or coaches of their high school indicating extracurricular activities. Each recommendation letter is to be in a sealed envelope with recommendors signature written across the seal.
d. Submitted letter of acceptance to an institute of higher learning.
e. Recipient of the scholarship will advise NAERA Executive Director of school enrolled, full address of school and date of enrolled.
6. The President of NAERA and his/her designee shall name the scholarship committee, which may include a representative from the NAERA Board of Directors and a representative(s) from the membership, not to exceed three people.
7. The Executive Director is to advise membership of the proper method that candidates should use to submit applications. Deadlines for applications and essay from the candidates to be received by NAERA member no later than March 1st. The winner will be announced by Executive Director by May 1st of recipients’ senior year. Executive Director will email membership of the name of the scholarship winner.
8. Each NAERA member in good standing may submit one candidate each year. All applications to be mailed to the Executive Director no later than March 15th. The Executive Director will submit copies to the Selection Committee making the selection. The Selection Committee will read the applications then discuss the candidates on a conference call around April 1st, deciding who will be the winner of the scholarship.
9. If at any time the Voigt R. Hodgson Memorial Fund should cease to exist, the organization is free to use annual investment to meet their most pressing needs. The Voigt R. Hodgson Memorial Fund, however, shall forever remain unchanged.
10. It is NAERA intent that future recipients of this scholarship award be strongly encouraged to contribute to the fund and be an advocate for the fund after receiving their degree or leaving the college or university they attended, as a means of ensuring the value of the fund for future recipients and as a means of demonstrating their belief in the value of scholarships.
11. Persons desiring to contribute to the Voigt R. Hodgson Memorial Fund by a current outright gift, in a Last Will and Testament, or by some other deferred means shall be free to do so, provided they subscribe to the terms, provisions and guidelines in this Memorandum of Agreement.
12. The Voigt R. Hodgson Memorial Fund was established in 2003 and has been actively supporting students since the scholarships inception.